Friday, July 9, 2010

Almost the end.

Well, I've come to the end of my YouEsseAye travels.

It was great,
it was emotional,
it was depressing,
it was uplifiting,
it was... interesting.

It was inspirational.
I want to paint and I wrote my first poem since I left here last December. Wow.

A year ago, I never thought that I would love this place so much, that I'd come back. If you would have asked me a year ago what I would be doing in July 2010, I would have probably concocted some vague answer that included Spain or France. I would have never guessed I would have embarked on this crazy crazy trip of insanity that gave me a lot of clear-mindedness. Perhaps, it was even cheaper than therapy! Perhaps, it would have been cheaper to just hire a shrink. Anyway,
Some stand-out moments;
  • arriving to NYC from London in business class, seeing the big apple from above with the lights glittering
  • many good dinners with good friends (during the whole 6 weeks)
  • turning 21 in NY/NJ
  • The Barking Dog cafe
  • getting asked for my ID when buying alcohol (though no-one asked on my actual birthday!!)
  • sitting on the side of the road in Jersey at 3am on my birthday after the car broke down
  • looking for a mechanic at 7am in heels and a white cocktail dress
  • fighting my way to LaGuardia
  • smelling eucalyptus in california
  • frozen yoghurt in Stanford
  • pretty Berkeley
  • the sheer amount of pick-up lines recieved while walking around the Mission district of San Francisco.
  • spending the night at the SFO airport, on a couch at subway, finding a pill and a penny on the ground. not eating either pill nor penny.
  • 2 memorable hours in Texas
  • seemingly endless midnight talks
  • very unfortunate soccor games (involving Australia and France.)
  • finally getting Ceviche again. God, I missed it.
  • passing customs into Canada
  • passing customs into the USA
  • Cristal Monee Hall playing the Montreal Jazz Festival
  • Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
  • Dad's Tuna Bagels, Montreal.
  • watching jeopardy and drinking wine in montreal
  • Ben and Jerry's icecream
  • finding my way around Paterson, NJ on my own
  • JUST making the bus for Baltimore when I thought I missed it
  • 4th of July fireworks
  • airconditioning
  • walking around Baltimore port

well, thats all I could think of off the top of my head.

I'm glad to be going back to France. Very glad. I'm counting the hours until I arrive in Lyon.

And, although I've decided not to come back for a while, I will miss this country. It's an enigma. There's still so much to see/do/discover here.

But I will be back. I know I will. America, you can't get rid of me that easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment